INSTALL THEME & PLUGINS
Our themes require a hosted installation of wordpress.org; you will be unable to install this theme if you are using wordpress.com. If you require hosting and a domain name, we highly recommend going with Bluehost. They provide reliable and secure hosting and amazing support. Check out our detailed guide on setting up hosting and installing WordPress here.
We recommend getting started on a clean installation of WordPress 4.0 or higher; this provides the best starting point for the theme, and we cannot guarantee operation on existing installations or older versions. This guide assumes you are starting on a fresh install.
UNZIP THE DOWNLOAD FILE
The file you downloaded with your purchase must be unzipped before you upload it to WordPress. If you receive the missing style.css stylesheet error message, you have not unzipped and will need to do so before uploading the theme.
Upload and activate the Paloma theme
- Under Appearance > Themes, click Add New. Click Upload Theme and choose the paloma.zip file to upload.
- Click Install Now. After installation, click Activate.
INSTALL RECOMMENDED PLUGINS
We’ve recommended a small number of plugins to help you get the most out of your theme.
- On the message that displays near the top of the screen, click Begin installing plugins.
- Select all plugins and from the drop-down menu pick Install and then click Apply.
- Ensure that all plugins are installed and activated before installing the demo content.
If you’ve chosen to install WooCommerce, you’ll likely be greeted by the setup wizard (seen below). We recommend going through these steps if you plan on using WooCommerce as they will help you get your shop set up quickly and easily. If you’re in a rush or don’t plan on using WooCommerce, you can always click “Skip This Step” to all steps until the wizard is completed.
SETUP JETPACK PORTFOLIOS
Paloma uses the Jetpack plugin’s Portfolio feature manage its portfolio pages. You can enable this setting by first going to the Jetpack tab and following the steps to connect with Jetpack. Once you’ve done that, go to Jetpack > Settings and enable the Portfolio Custom Content Type.
Before importing the demo content, make sure your theme is updated to the latest version. You can update by going to Appearance > Themes and following the prompts (if there is a newer version available).
IMPORT DEMO CONTENT
This step introduces sample pages and menus into your site and is recommended for fresh installs as it will introduce new content into an existing site. You must allow the import several minutes to upload, do not click off the page until it has finished.
The Paloma theme includes sample content like pages and posts to help you get started quickly.
- To get started, click Appearance > Import Demo Data.
- Click on the button that says Import Demo Data.
- Make sure all recommended plugins are installed and activated before beginning the import in order to capture all settings.
- Be patient as the import can take up to 5 minutes depending on your server setup. Why not grab a cup of coffee?
IMPORT DEMO DATA ERRORS
If you receive failed to import errors, you can still continue setting up your theme. These errors are only dummy content that didn’t import (example posts and pictures) and are not necessary to continue setting up your theme. However you can also contact us here and we’ll be sure to help you out :)